Thursday, December 13, 2007

 

How to

Roast a chicken:

I started with a standard mirepoix, which is roughly chopped onions, carrots, and celery, as well as a few smashed garlic cloves, whole peppercorns, and parsley stems.


The chicken goes right on top, no need for a rack, though if you have one, go ahead and use it if you like. Toss some salt and pepper inside and if you like, stuff the cavity loosely with more mirepoix, or lemons, or whatever aromatic thing you like. I also smeared some butter on the breast to help it along with getting that rich roasty crisp skin.


If it doesn't release enough juices to baste with, add some stock or water to help it along. Baste every 15 or 20 minutes, and when the juices run clear (poke the skin near the leg and see what color the juice is that comes out) or a thermometer reads close to 160ยบ, take it out of the oven and set the bird aside to rest while you make the sauce.



In the bottom of the pan you used you should now find yummy burnt-on bits under the vegetables. Mine wasn't quite burnt enough, so I turned on the heat under the pan and let it get nice and crusty.



Then, pour a good dollop of wine in there (I use whatever I'm serving with dinner, you can also use stock) and use a wooden spoon to get all the burnt on bits to dissolve. Pour some more stock in it so you have a good bit of liquid, and then strain it into a small saucepan.

Bring this liquid to a light simmer, and add roux* to it, a little at a time, till it thickens up as much as you like. Remove from heat, and taste. Add salt or pepper if needed, and I like to toss a pat of butter and some chopped herbs in too.



All done! I served mine with roasted potatoes and glazed carrots.


*Roux: melt some butter in a pan, and add flour till it forms a loose paste. Whisk for 2 minutes and set aside till you need it for the sauce. This can be done in advance, while the chicken is in the oven.

Comments:
Hey See Kay!
I've tagged you in a "meme" that's going around the blogosphere. Visit my blog to see the rules and decide if you want to join in.
 
P.S. - The roasted chicken looks AWESOME! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?