Tuesday, August 07, 2007

 

Winding.

I was winding some yarn for a project to take with me on a short trip, and I thought I might show an example of what happens when you wind yarn into a ball using a swift and ball winder. In the picture below, you can see both skeins. One of them (the little one) was wound directly from the hank on the swift. The other one was wound a second time, so after winding it off the swift, I put the tight ball into a bowl and re-wound it. The difference is very noticeable. While the tightly wound ball is very nice, like a little hockey puck, the other one is so much better. So soft and smooshy, and really it gives a better representation of the yarn since it's not stretched so tight.


Blue Sky Alpaca Silk, color 139, a lovely peacock blue/green. Destined to be a Clementine Shawlette.

I usually find that I need to do the double-winding. Most skeins are twisted and they pull tight when winding off the swift, resulting in a very tightly wound ball of yarn. If the yarn is going to spend alot of time in this state, it will pull and stretch it. That can affect your finished garment, since when you wash it it will spring back into its bouncy natural state. So, usually I re-wind it so it makes a looser ball and I don't have to worry about the yarn losing its elasticity if it sits for six months while I finish my project.

And on to my upcoming trip: W.O.O.L. weekend out on the lake. I'll be with a nice gathering of crafty ladies at Wiawaka Holiday House and I can't wait. I really need a break, and this will really fit the bill.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?