Saturday, June 09, 2007

 

The batt

So, I went to the MA Sheep and Wool with my buddy from Hello Yarn. We both bought one of these beautiful batts. They had a few color schemes. I got a lavendar/purple one, and Adrian got one in shades of blue. They also had one that was done in green/white/pink with black bobbles like a watermelon. Very cute.





It was very nicely done, and I just had to figure out how to spin it.




I peeled bits of fiber off from the lightest to the darkest and spun them into singles that are a bit thick-and-thin.



It was such a pleasure to spin. It makes me want to unearth the giant multi-color/multi-layer batt I got at Rhinebeck last year from .. I can't remember the name, but it's a famous fiber provider.




It's awesome. I am going to make something for myself, but I'm not sure how to utilize all the colors in one small project.

Spinning from a batt is awesome. Like I said, I have a giant batt from Rhinebeck last year.

I also have a large amount of alpaca fiber from Yarn School 2006. It means alot to me, I had such a lovely time at Yarn School, and the trip to the alpaca farm was so great. I had my first (and probably last) experience with raw fiber when I bought some fiber from Frank, a chocolate brown alpaca. I stayed up half the night picking through it and putting some through the drum carder. Adrian took the remainder home with her and carded it for me so I didn't have to miss class the next day in favor of carding my fiber. I've been practicing my spinning ever since so I can spin my alpaca fiber and hopefully combine it with some alpaca yarn I also got in Kansas at the same farm. I can't wait to finish spinning and then knitting this fiber into a sweater- it will be like wearing a hug from all my knitty friends.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?